January 06, 2012

Why I need to get out of Montreal

I was looking at my last post and realized I was being quite harsh when I said my city is waste. Don't get me wrong I love my city it is so vibrant in the summer, the nightlife can compete with any major city, there are so many types of restaurants and always something to do it is hard to get bored. But I sincerely hate the people in it and I say that as nicely as possible.

There are 2 things about the people here that I know that nobody who lives here can disagree with. The first thing is about the stuck up French people who only care about separating from Canada and that continuously fail in their efforts to make French is the ONLY official language. They look down on people who don't speak french but don't bother to learn english themselves. Let's be honest outside of Quebec probably only 10% of the rest of Canada's population speak the language (with the exception of New Brunswick). English is the universal language of the world; it should be mandatory to learn to speak it. At the same time I believe that if you decide to live here you should learn to speak French but this is a bilingual province meaning if I walk into a store and start asking questions in English you best respond to me in english.. Or at least attempt. I am not malicious if I see that you are struggling to speak English I will start talking to you in French and vice versa.

The next thing that irks me about Montreal is the Black community. I swear that 80% of us (excluding myself when I say us-- by us I mean black people) play into the stereotypes of what these white people expect from black people like that video and such as not having a general high school degree, being teenage parents, having no goals, being criminals, destroying public property, just having no behaviour etc. Furthermore there are not many educated black people left in this city most have migrated to Toronto or the United States. I am sure its because of how we are treated when we go into the job market. This province can be Racist as fuck when it comes to relevant things like getting a job or starting a business. Its like our degrees are not equivalent to our white peers -- anyway that is a whole other issue and post in itself. I am not trying to come off as stuck up or anything but it is a real epidemic in this city. The number of black people doing something productive with their life in this city is quite minimal and nobody seems to care as long as every weekend they can go to the club and pop a bottle of grey goose or some other over priced liquor that they worked greater than 15 hours that week just to purchase. They think they are doing big things because they are working more than one job. My question to these people on a regular basis is: If you can make the same kind of money at one job would you bother working at that second job? I've never gotten a clear answer they are just so proud they are killing themselves working 70+ hours a week, partying all weekend and then doing the same thing again the next week and probably because the answer is No.

Anyway I'm done. I'm sure I am going to end up in Toronto after I graduate if I stay in Canada. I would love to live and work in New York City. I am in love with that city.

#thatsall

2 comments:

  1. That's how I felt about my hometown. Almost everyone there is content with living a meager life, even my family. So I moved to the farthest part possible of the states from there without actually leaving the country. I've always wanted to visit Canada, though. I think I could drive there; I don't think I'm that far from the border. It just seems greener than the states, at least from what I see on tv.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I can't stand it and I don't know about green. Lol. Some areas are very country not Montreal though. And it is very different from the states or at least from the areas I have visit (New York, Boston, Miami, DC). Life moves at a much slower pace or so it seems. But I cannot deny that Canada is a great place to visit especially in the summer and we treat our tourist very well.

    ReplyDelete