March 06, 2012

To Cross or Not to Cross... The Picket Line?

My school is voting on whether or not to go on strike tomorrow due to the upcoming tuition hike. I will be voting NO. Usually I'm down to support causes like these but enough is enough now. Over the last few years there have been multiple strikes have resulted in nothing but tons of time wasted.

Just a bit of history on tuition in Quebec...

Since 1994 until 2007 tuition was frozen at about $1700 a year (politicians - you gotta love them). After 2007 a new political party came in to power and basically decided that it was time for tuition to increase. From then to now tuition increased to about $2200 a year. Which still is not too bad in my opinion -- probably because ever since I've been in University it was at that rate. Now they are planning to raise tuition by $325 per year for 5 years bring it to just over $3800 a year. Again which I guess it is something to complain about because it is a huge increase over a short period of time. But if you compare it to any other province in Canada or even the states it is still a bargain.

Another reason I'm kind of hoping the majority votes NO is because I don't want to lose a whole semester over something that really isn't going to change shit. I'm definitely trying to graduate this year. I already feel like behind in life in general and with school especially. I took some detours and I'm just ready to be done with school. If I was on the straight and narrow through my University career I would have graduated in May of 2011. But I spent a year and a half in a program that I really did not like so I started something new and now I'm graduating in December 2012 *fingers crossed*. Lol I still I have mixed feelings about the program I'm in now. Some days I hate it but most other days I love it. But no matter how much I complain at the end of the day I know I made the best decision in changing into this program. So I've finally accepted it.

Last reason is that the University Provost wrote a letter to the faculty basically stating that they should not support a strike and it should be business as usual. Hmm. This could lead to some real complications.

Anyway let's hope the majority votes NO or I may be crossing the picket line.

#thatsall

No comments:

Post a Comment